The Sanford Alderfer Companies began in 1959 when Sanford A. Alderfer attended the Reisch American School of Auctioneering. Sanford realized his dream of becoming an auctioneer when he conducted his first real estate auction on February 8, 1960. Sanford established Sanford A. Alderfer Inc. predicated on the idea that well run, ethical auctions would improve the quality of life in his community. Joined by his brother, Harold Alderfer, in 1962, the pair quickly earned a reputation for honesty and integrity as Sanford Alderfer Real Estate became sought after by families wanting to sell homes, farms and by businesses seeking to relocate or liquidate assets.
In 1972, Sanford’s son, Sanford (Sandy) L. Alderfer, and son-in-law, Vernon Martin, joined the family business. Sandy and Vernon were instrumental in establishing the Alderfer Auction Center in 1988, an innovative, modern auction facility located in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, where they continued to grow the company. Over a half century later, Sanford Alderfer Real Estate is still owned by the Alderfer family and business continues to be conducted by the Golden Rule.